A little about me...

My photo
Merry Meet! My name is Sonja and I'm a proud and honored practitioner of Neo-Pagan Dianic Wicca/Witchcraft. Dianic Witchcraft (sometimes known as "Feminist Witchcraft") combines elements of British Traditional Wicca, Italian folk magic, feminist values, rituals, and healing magic. I worship the Goddess only (honoring male deities as Her consort when required). This blog was developed as a place where I can freely express myself, both as a Witch and as a woman. I can recall from a very young age I have always had a special connection to Mother Nature (as most Wiccans do), and throughout my adolescence, my interests spread into divination (Runic & Tarot), spell casting, candle magick, herbal medicine and magicks, and afterlife acknowledgement (seeing or communing with ghosts/spirits/elementals). As more Witches "come out of the broom closet", more and more information is available on the subject, the community is growing; not just on Witchcraft but other consciousness-expanding subjects as well. It makes my heart happy to know this renaissance is taking place :) So please, enjoy my rants & raves, whether from Witch or woman :) Blessed Be )O(

Friday, April 15, 2011

Really?? Because I thought......

I would like to preface this blog by stating that even under the most adverse of circumstances, I try to practice what I preach. This is how I was raised and also what I hold to be true. And as every mother knows, if you don't practice what you preach, how will your kids take you seriously?? So the question not need be asked, that if you don't practice what you preach to everyone else, how will you expect them to take you seriously? This is a true story of how I practiced the tolerance of theological beliefs that I preach is an important tool for getting along with many different types of people.

The other night my husband, my 3 year old daughter, and I went out to our favorite local joint in town to see our musician friend perform. Now my musician friend, while a great guy to hang out with, encourages "idol worship" or "sycophantism" from his female friends. Sadly, he isn't discriminating enough when he makes these friends and subjects my husband and I to the most intolerable personalities from time to time. While my husband doesn't take these people seriously and only wants to hang out with his buddy, I, however, do not wish to encourage these certain friends of my musician friend to think we are all buddy-buddy with them and that we are, in one fashion or another, friends.

There is one friend of our musician friend.... Well, for all intents and purposes let's call my musician friend... Narcissus, appropriately :) So Narcissus has this friend (who we shall call Richmond) whom I met with an open heart and an open mind, as she was the new lady in town. I thought the fact that I was an attractive, open minded, friendly individual would inspire her to try to connect with me on some level. That's not what happened. She did, however, connect very well (and by "very well" I mean practically ignoring my sister and I and flirting HEAVILY with my sister's boyfriend, Narcissus, and my very own husband). Needless to say I was not happy, much less impressed with her behavior (in my very own home!!). At the end of the evening, Narcissus drove Richmond home (much to the chagrin of my sister), and I had (I thought) formed an accurate impression of her intentions within my circle, my comfort zone.

Months pass, and my sister and Narcissus had been broken up for a short while when my husband invites me out for a "micro date" with Narcissus..... and Richmond. As I'm sure you can guess, I decline, and I decline several other "micro dates" because Richmond is going to be there. Not as Narcissus's date, because Richmond is not up to his "lofty standards", but as a friend.

I feel I must point out that I have no problem with women flirting with my husband, as he is a completely charming and gregarious individual, but I do not condone flirting with my husband while I am present.

Alas, the other evening in a moment of weakness I agree to a "micro date" to see our friend, Narcissus, play. Well, guess who is there. Yep. Richmond. So I, not being one to make a scene in public, try to be friendly to her once again. Maybe I will get a different result... as first impressions aren't always accurate.

After talk of a potato pancake recipe that "she simply must try" and different foods we like, blahblahblahblahblah, I decide to try out the old "animal empathy" card, to see if we can connect on some level. I divulge that we are in the process of adopting a dog and that we are excited and nervous and so happy to add another loving family member. I also divulge an interesting fact about snakes, not one that many people know, which is that snakes cannot feel love. They do not possess the gene that allows them to give or receive love. Even after years of domestication and care by the same individual, they cannot love their owner. I expect to hear from her a fact that I do not know, therefore sparking another round of chit chat from her and I. I did not get a cool factoid from her. This is what I got.

*RICHMOND HAS A SOUTHERN ACCENT*
"That makes total sense!!!", she says.
I smile and ask, "What makes total sense?"
"About the snake? Being the symbol of Satan?"
*I am looking at her expectantly and also dumbfounded, just waiting to hear the crap that comes out of her mouth.*
Smiling brightly, she says, "That makes total sense!! Get it?? Because Satan cannot love, he is the master of evil and hate, so it makes sense that he is represented by a snake!! Because snakes are incapable of love!!! Oh my gosh..."

Gee, Richmond, all these years I thought that the snake was symbolic of transformation, and knowledge, and in some cultures the snake was representative of the internal spiral of energy that people possess... their 'Kundalini'. I mean, really??? Satan?? Even though the symbolism of the serpent predates Christianity by at least a thousand years and has been used in some of the oldest rituals known to humankind... I mean, I guess it was all a fallacy to fool us pagans!! The devil really did it, huh?? LMFAO!! To further my point, an example of a serpent used as a positive symbol is Mucalinda, the king of snakes who shielded the Buddha from the elements as the Buddha sat in meditation. An example of a serpent used as a negative symbol is the snake who tempted Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, as described in the Book of Genesis.

Um, did anyone reading this catch that? The negative symbolism of the snake was used by the Christians while the positive connontation was non-christian?? Hmmm... Is that telling?? I have my own ideas but anyone reading this is certain to make up their own.

Sadly, my hopes of Richmond redeeming herself in my eyes was a battle lost, and I still don't think much of her. I think even less of her now. To finish up what happened, I gracefully changed the subject and bored her to death until she left our table. Afterward, despite the baleful look I got from my husband, I was able to honestly proclaim that I practiced what I preach- theological tolerance. It's not easy, folks, but like with most behaviors, they become easier with practice. I suppose this was the test of my practicing. I wonder if it would surprise her to learn that I have a serpent tattoo'd on my body. I wonder also if she's heard the quote from D.H. Lawrence which states, "The Christian fear of the Pagan outlook has damaged the whole consciousness of man."

Well, here's a fact I think she should hear. My Goddess gave birth to your God. :)


Where the Goddess goes, Magick grows

Sonja

3 comments:

  1. Well, at the very least, you tried. And let's face it, the only thing you did was bore her to death until she left. I might have slapped her! Oooops, outside voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's all one can do, is try. Trust me, I have no illusions about that young woman's belief system, lol :) I was about to drop some knowledge on her but I didn't want to have to explain to my 3 yr old why mommy had a drink poured on her, LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and design of you blog. I have a little trouble reading the script but that's just me.

    Thanks for stopping by to visit.

    ReplyDelete